Tuesday, October 24, 2006

the service industry

Whats the point of putting up 4 million smiles and upgrading of our service sectors when the sales frontline himself lacks even the most basic EQ to begin with..

I was at queuing up for a McDonald's Lemon lime last weekend when this happened .. A young man (presumably the father) and a boy just purchased a happy meal and was taking his time choosing one from the assortment of toys. And there was the kids-friendly guy at the cashier - squatting down, smiling - waiting for the boy to make his decision.

Its perfectly fine, commendable in fact to show such patience and courtesy. But NOT when there's a whole lot of others in the queue waiting to be served. He could have urged the adult to hasten the decision or simple attend to the next customer while the boy takes his time

When it finally comes my turn , I asked for a "Large lemon lime"

"Sorry but there's only small and medium" - then stares at me, seemingly awaiting what I'd say next.

Then just give me the Medium dammit !
Must I emphasize on the correct option from ur MCQ choices of 2 ??

***

Second scenario - Starbucks :

"Large Ice latte"

"That would be Grande" , then shows me the empty cup..
"Would that be ok for you, Sir? "

5 / 5 stars.
You see the difference for yourself, no further explanation required.

***

You may say I'm paying for what I get.. a starbucks coffee costs 2-3 times more. Not true..

Scenario 3 - Food Court :

"I don't want chili"

".. then tomato sauce ok ?" - politely suggesting a replacemnt for the chili sauce else the noodles will taste blend.

Simple gestures and a bit of intellect will suffice.. no need for fake smilies and thank-yous to make your customer feel appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home